Request a Call Back
For A Free Consultation Call(02) 7804 2823

Novice range PCA

What is Novice Range PCA?

The offence of Novice Range PCA is committed if you are subject to a zero alcohol limit and are driving a motor vehicle on a road with a reading above zero but less than 0.019. Learner and provisional licence holders are subject to a zero blood alcohol reading (BAC) and can be charged with this offence.

What are the penalties for Novice Range PCA?

If you are convicted of novice range PCA and it is your first major offence in a 5 year period the penalty  is a fine of up to $1100. Your licence will automatically be disqualified for 6 months however a court may reduce it to 3 months.

If you are convicted of novice range PCA and it is your second offence the penalty is a fine of up to $2200. Your licence will  automatically be disqualified for 12 months however a court may reduce this to 6 months. If it is your second alcohol related offence in a 5 year period the penalty is a fine of up to $2200. Your licence will be disqualified for between 1 and 3 months and you will then be subject to an interlock order for 12 months.


Offence Fine Imprisonment Minimum Disqualification Automatic Disqualification
Novice Range PCA 1st offence: $1100
2nd offence: $2200
N/A 1st offence: 3 months
2nd offence: 6 months
1st offence: 6 months
2nd offence: 12 months

Where a prior conviction (within the past 5 years) was alcohol related:

Offence Initial Disqualification Period Minimum Interlock Period Disqualification Period if exemption order made
Novice Range PCA Minimum 1 month
Maximum 3 months
12 months Automatic 12 months
Minimum 6 months

Will I lose my licence?

If you are  convicted you will lose your licence for at least the minimum period specified. There is no such thing as a ‘work licence’ or ‘restricted licence’ in NSW. The only way to keep your licence is to avoid a conviction. There are only two ways to avoid a conviction:

  • Plead not guilty and establish one of the defences to drink driving.
  • If the court exercises its discretion to not record a conviction and deals with your matter as a conditional release order (CRO) which was previously known as a ‘section 10’.

Will a charge of Novice Range PCA be recorded on my criminal record?

If you are convicted of novice range PCA that will be recorded on your criminal record. That means it will appear on police background checks. In some cases this may affect employment, travel to certain countries, or the ability to obtain particular licences.

What is the process?

In most cases of novice range PCA the Police will release you and give you a yellow slip called a field court attendance notice (Field CAN). Your court date, court location, and what you have been charged with are all listed on this form.  The police may also give you another yellow piece of paper called a ‘written notice of pleading’. Do not fill that in until you’ve spoken to a lawyer.

Why choose Marsh Blom Lawyers?

We are specialist traffic and criminal lawyers. All our lawyers are experienced and results orientated. We have extensive courtroom experience and we represent clients in drink driving matters at courts all over NSW. In most drink driving matters we are able to offer a competitive fixed fee for our services.

Request a Call Back

Parramatta 74/48-50 George St Parramatta NSW 2151

Southern Highlands Lvl 2, Suite 14, 9 Clarence Street, Moss Vale NSW 2575

Speak to one of our specialists about your case:

Copyright © 2018 Marsh Blom Lawyers Pty Ltd All Rights Reserved